I am an Athene Young Investigator heading an independent research group at the Department of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology at the TU Darmstadt. Since 2016 I also head the Adaptive Overlay Communications group at the Multimedia Communications Lab (KOM).
Previously, I was Post-Doctoral Researcher with the Department of Computer Science at the University of Warwick, U.K., and at the University of Massachusetts Amherst, USA.
My research focus lies on stochastic modeling and optimization of networked service systems. To this end, I develop methods and techniques in the areas of Queuing Theory, Network Calculus and Probability. I apply these analytical tools for the design and quantitative analysis and control of various service systems such as communication networks, industrial processes, (general) storage systems, multimedia and IoT. Since 2016, I have been working on the inference based optimization of adaptive communication systems within the collaborative research center MAKI. My work there is related to the application fields of Software-defined Networking, Multimedia and Caching. Recently, I have been also working on Blockchain based distributed applications.
- W. R. KhudaBukhsh, B. Alt, S. Kar, A. Rizk, H. Koeppl: Collaborative Uploading in Heterogeneous Networks: Optimal and Adaptive Strategies. IEEE INFOCOM (2018)
- D. Stohr, A. Frömmgen, A. Rizk, M. Zink, R. Steinmetz, W. Effelsberg: Where are the Sweet Spots? A Systematic Approach to Reproducible DASH Player Comparisons. ACM Multimedia (2017)
- A. Frömmgen, A. Rizk, T. Erbshäußer, M. Weller, B. Koldehofe, A. Buchmann, R. Steinmetz: A Programming Model for Application-defined Multipath TCP Scheduling, ACM/IFIP/USENIX Middleware (2017 – Best paper award)
- W. R. KhudaBukhsh, A. Rizk, A. Frömmgen, H. Koeppl: Optimizing Stochastic Scheduling in Fork-Join Queuing Models: Bounds and Applications. IEEE INFOCOM (2017)
- S. Subramanya, A. Rizk, D. E. Irwin: Transient Guarantees: Maximizing the Value of Idle Cloud Capacity. ACM SIGHPC Supercomputing (2016)
- A. Rizk, F. Poloczek, F. Ciucu: Stochastic bounds in Fork-Join queueing systems under full and partial mapping. Queueing Systems 83(3-4): 261-291 (2016)
- Z. Bozakov, A. Rizk, D. Bhat, M.Zink: Measurement-based Flow Characterization in Centrally Controlled Networks. IEEE INFOCOM (2016)
- A. Rizk, F. Poloczek, F. Ciucu: Computable Bounds in Fork-Join Queueing Systems. ACM SIGMETRICS (2015): 335-346
- D. Dietrich, A. Rizk, P. Papadimitriou: Multi-Provider Virtual Network Embedding With Limited Information Disclosure. IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management 12(2): 188-201 (2015)
- M. Fidler, A. Rizk: A Guide to the Stochastic Network Calculus. IEEE Communications Surveys and Tutorials 17(1): 92-105 (2015)
Dr.-Ing. Amr Rizk
FG Multimedia Kommunikation
amr (at) rizk.com.de